If you are reading this, then it means you truly love your dog a lot. You want your furry friend to live a long and happy life, and this is why paying attention to what you’re feeding your dog matters so much. Just like humans, most dogs are lactose intolerant, which means they cannot digest cow’s milk. So, the popular oat milk is the best replacement for cow’s milk for those that have lactose intolerance or allergies. Oat milk is generally considered to be healthy for humans but what about dogs ? Can dogs have oat milk ? Is oat milk good for dogs or is it bad for them ?
Read on to know about whether oat milk is fine for your dog to drink or not. This will guide you to learn more about oat milk for dogs and how safely it can be fed to your lovely dog.
What is oat milk ?
Oat milk is made using plain rolled oats and water, blending them together, and finally strained to give a creamy pulp, the oat milk.
Generally, oat milk is made of whole oat grains and water, but sometimes various flavours are used, such as sweetened, unsweetened, vanilla, dates, caramel, or chocolate.
Because of being low in fat and high in protein and vitamins, it is one of the healthiest substitutes for cow’s milk, goat milk, almond milk, or soy milk.
Also, oat milk is dairy free and a plant based source of milk, so it is ideal for humans or dogs that have lactose intolerance.
Also read – Can dogs eat Cheez its – Let’s get the answer here
Can dogs have oat milk
To begin with, cow’s milk has a natural sugar named lactose that is usually found in milk and other dairy products, and most dogs cannot drink milk because they are intolerant to lactose.
Lactose intolerance is a digestive problem caused by the inability of the stomach to digest lactose. So, this means if a dog who is lactose intolerant consumes cow’s milk or goat’s milk, he will show signs of indigestion like diarrhea, bloating, and abdominal discomfort.
That being the case, if you are one of those many dog owners who are looking for a healthy version of milk for their lactose intolerant dogs, oat milk is one of the best substitutes.
Oat milk is plant-based milk and does not contain any lactose. For this reason it is naturally a very healthy option of milk for both humans and animals.
So, can dogs have oat milk, short answer, yes. However, like any other milk, oat milk must be given to dogs only in moderation, like an occasional treat and not as a meal.
How much oat milk is safe for dogs
It’s important to remember that dogs don’t necessarily need to drink milk.
Milk has calcium which is good for the bones, but your dog can get more than enough of that from its daily diet.
The only reason to give milk to a dog is to give it as a special treat. If your dog likes to drink milk and it doesn’t have a bad reaction to milk, then you may give it milk sometimes.
Likewise, oat milk must be given as a treat and not too often.
A small quantity of oat milk can be a nice treat for your dog that he will enjoy.
Also read – Calcium deficiency in dogs – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment for it
Risk of oat milk to dogs
Generally, oat milk is pretty safe for dogs, in fact it is a really healthy alternative milk that you can give to your dog.
Although, it’s very important to remember that too much of any human food can be harmful for your dog and upsetting to his stomach. So quantity is very important.
If your dog drinks too much oat milk, as in a whole bowl or meal, he might experience stomach ache and diarrhea.
Your dog may show many signs of discomfort after drinking large amounts of oat milk. If this happens, take your dog to your vet immediately.
It’s very important to know that if you are trying to feed your dog oat milk as a new food, like any human food, introduce it in very small amounts and only as a treat.
Keep a watch after you give your dog oat milk for the first time because not all human food is safe and healthy for all kinds of dogs.
Some dogs are going to have a difference in digesting new foods than others.
Benefits of oat milk for dogs
Oat milk is healthier than many other regular types of milk. It is popular for not one but many reasons. Drinking oat milk in moderation can give various benefits to dogs. To name a few:
- Oat milk is dairy-free, means it has no lactose
- Oat milk has very less sugar and fat content
- Oat milk is free of allergens and irritants.
- Oat milk helps to control blood sugar levels
- Oat milk is enriched with calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, riboflavin, vitamin B12, vitamins A and vitamin D
- Oat milk is a good source of fiber that helps maintain a healthy gut
- Oat milk aids in prevention of anemia
- Oat milk helps boost immunity
- Oat milk helps to maintain strong bone
Few things to remember before giving
As dog parents we all know that dogs are like children and they depend on us for everything. We are completely responsible for their health and safety.
Here are a few things that we must consider before giving :-
- Before you plan to give your dog oat milk, you need to make sure your dog is not allergic to oats or any ingredient of oat milk.
- Monitor your dog the first time you give oat milk. It is always good to watch for some time before you
- Ensure that you give your dog small quantities of oat milk and only as special treats.
- Always choose unsweetened oat milk for your dog, as some varieties may have high sugar content.
- Check out the ingredients carefully before you purchase oat milk from the grocery store. Some brands of oat milk may contain Xylitol, a toxic chemical used as a sugar substitute. It can cause your dog life-threatening issues such as low blood sugar and liver injuries.
- Always opt for organic, natural or homemade oat milk to give your dog.
Also read – can dogs eat mushroom ? Here is the must know answer for dog owners
How to prepare at home
It is very simple to make oat milk for your dog at home and, more importantly if you make it at home, then you can be sure that it doesn’t contain any additives, sweeteners or artificial flavourings.
To instantly make homemade oat milk for your dog just:
- Put a cup (100 grams) of rolled or steel-cut oats and four cups (900 mL) of water into a blender jar or food processor and mix on a high setting for about a minute.
- Pour this mixture through a fine towel or muslin cloth into a jug or other container.
- You can use any thin cotton cloth or even coffee filters to strain the milk, as long as the filter is fine enough to separate the liquid from the creamy pulp.
- In case you end up with any extra oat milk, you can store it in your refrigerator up to 5 days.
Which is the best and safest oat milk for a dog
Homemade or organic oat milk is the best and safest kind of oat milk for your dog.
If you feed your dog oat milk then you should be careful about flavours and similar options such as vanilla or chocolate.
Commercially available oat milk that are flavoured contain high levels of sugars and other additives that can be dangerous for your dog.
They may contain certain artificial sweeteners, such as Xylitol, and can be very harmful to dogs.
Also read – Detailed list of dangerous and poisonous foods for dogs
Take a sip and you will agree that oat milk is undeniably yummy. Your dog will definitely enjoy the taste of oat milk on the first go.
Nevertheless, as responsible dog parents, we must make sure that we satisfy their tasty tongues safely.
Oat milk has a very high nutritional value and so it should only be given once in a while and in small quantities to be sure that your drooling friend doesn’t suffer any adverse effects.
Share this very informative article with all the dog parents out there.